Monday, August 17, 2009

Review: The Time Traveler's Wife


Review: The Time Traveler's Wife
Rating: **
Nonna's Rating: $$
Rotten Tomatoes: 35%

If you've read my reviews for a while, you know I get rather impatient when people compare movies unfavorably to books -- especially when they complain about the omission of particular incidents or the alteration of bits of dialogue. Well, I'm about to compare a movie unfavorably to a book, but I will defend my right to do so.

I do believe that we experience two completely different art forms in movies and books and, therefore, should not sweat the small stuff -- like eliminated or added scenes. However, I do argue that we have a right to demand that movie makers not alter the intrinsic nature of a book.

I have two quibbles with this movie. First, the lesser quibble. I have never read a book in which life in Chicago was so vividly realized. While reading, I could almost smell the stale air from the sidewalk grates in downtown Chicago. In the book, Chicago is a fourth major character and totally integrated into the love story. So, I understandably anticipated some drop dead takes on Chicago streets -- a la the marvelous cinematography in High Frequency. Unfortunately, what we got, for the most part, was Toronto. Big oversight just to save money.

My second quibble is more serious. There is almost no chemistry between the time traveler and his wife, played by Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams. The book is a love story for the ages; the movie just doesn't approach that level of intensity. It's a disappointing film.


Nonna's Ratings:
$$$$ = Worth paying the Friday evening price
$$$= Worth paying the Matinee price
$$= Worth a rental
$ = Wait for cable
# = Skip it

No comments:

Post a Comment