Saturday, July 10, 2010

Review: Despicable Me

Review: Despicable Me
Rating: *1/2
Nonna's Rating: $
Rotten Tomatoes: 79%

Here I go again, not liking a movie generally praised by the critics. Despicable Me was such a disappointment. "Why?" you ask.
  1. Bad plot: Will the three darling orphan girls find a home? Which villain will succeed: Gru, with his nefarious Eastern European accent, or Vector, a dweeby nerd who bears a striking resemblance to Bill Gates? Do we really care?
  2. No real laughs and few memorable scenes: I kept stealing glances at Eli, my soon-to-be six-year-old grandson. He only laughed when Gru got blown up (he's a boy; he likes that sort of thing). Most of the time, he stared intently at the screen.
  3. Wasted Minions: Minions are darling, little, yellow-bodied, blue-overall and goggle-wearing creatures who just beg to be marketed. They chatter unintelligibly throughout the film and I never understood what exactly they were trying to do at any given time. Could the animators not think of anything for them to say?
'Nuff said. I now use the rest of this review to apologize to Eli. Some time in the future, he may read this, and I want to let him know that I'm sorry I didn't take him to see Toy Story 3 as he originally requested. I'd already seen it, and, selfishly, I wanted to see something new, so we went to see Despicable Me. I wasted an hour and a half of his young life. So, I'm sorry Eli.

Do see Toy Story 3. See it twice.

Nonna's Ratings:
$$$$ = Worth paying the Friday evening price
$$$= Worth paying the Matinee price
$$= Worth a rental
$ = Wait for cable
# = Skip it

No comments:

Post a Comment