Sunday, October 03, 2010

Review: The Town

Review: The Town
Rating: **1/2
Nonna's Rating: $$
Rotten Tomatoes Critics: 95%
Rotten Tomatoes Public: 89%

Here I go again, not liking a film that the critics love. Of course, now that Rotten Tomatoes is publishing how much the audience likes a film as well as the critics, I'm pretty far from that mark too.

So, forgive me. Yes, the film held my interest. Yes, Ben Affleck proved that he can act whenever he has a Boston accent. Yes, Jon Hamm was worth the price of admission. Yes, Jeremy Renner is one scary dude. But . . but . . . there are plot holes that accommodate trucks. Too much just didn't make sense.

Now, at my back I hear my brother, Tony, and my friend, Linda, telling me not to think so much, that this isn't the kind of movie I should over-analyze, that I should just sit back and go along with it all.

Well, I can't. But don't let me stop you from seeing the movie for yourself and delivering your own judgment. As you probably know, it's a bank robbery movie. Affleck (Doug MacRay) plays a man raised in the Charlestown area of Boston, an area which spawns and nurtures bank robbers, car thieves, and kidnappers. Doug's life becomes complicated when he decides to make his next robbery his last, and when he finds himself falling in love with a hostage from his last bank job who is unaware of who he is. Go see it and tell me what you think. Or rent Inside Man or The Bank Job, two really terrific bank robbery movies.


Nonna's Ratings:
$$$$ = Worth paying the Friday evening price
$$$= Worth paying the Matinee price
$$= Worth a rental
$ = Wait for cable
# = Skip it

No comments:

Post a Comment