Sunday, November 07, 2010

Review: Megamind

Review: Megamind
Rating: ***
Nonna's Rating: $$$
Rotten Tomatoes: 67%
Audience: 79%

Max and Eli give "thumbs up" to Megamind. I stole glances at them several times during the movie and saw big smiles on their faces. And I wasn't bored or sleepy: I enjoyed it too. It passes the biggest tests of movies aimed at children: whether or not the kids were delighted and whether or not the adults are trying to read their watches in the dark. The animation was clever (we did not see it in 3-D) and the writing was diverting enough that adults could laugh too. The "message" was subtle but clear: "It's what's good in us that matters. You don't have to be buff and beautiful to be loved."

It also didn't hurt to have Tina Fey (Roxanne Ritchi) and Will Ferrel (Megamind) feverishly delivering lines that adults could chuckle at. On the other hand, the characters inevitably found themselves in situations that made the kids giggle. Brad Pitt does a nice turn as Metro Man, a stereotypical superhero, and David Cross is reliably funny as Minion, Megamind's, well, minion.

The film begins with ironic homage to the Superman origin story and continues that theme in Ferrell's uproarious sendup of Marlon Brando as Jor-El. It's certainly not Toy Story 3, but it was worth the trip.

Nonna's Ratings:
$$$$ = Worth paying the Friday evening price
$$$= Worth paying the Matinee price
$$= Worth a rental
$ = Wait for cable
# = Skip it

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant voice work. I have nothing but praises for Will Ferrell (whom I don't really like) and the rest of the voice cast. I went to see the film not having a clue as to who the talents were, so when the credits rolled, I was pleasantly surprised. Another good thing? Superb animation. This met my expectations, and for me it's best redeeming quality of the film. There was never a dull moment, even during the "romantic" scenes. It's what kept me throughout the 96-minute run time. Anyway, I made a full Megamind review in my blog. If you want, you can check it out and the rest of my entries. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete