Sunday, December 26, 2010

Review: True Grit

Review: True Grit
Rating: ****
Nonna's Rating: $$$$
Rotten Tomatoes: 94%
Audience: 91%

When John Wayne made True Grit in 1969, I didn't rush to see it. I've watched it since then, but I have not been impressed. Wayne received the Best Actor Oscar for the movie--essentially for playing himself. He'd been overlooked in previous years for much better performances, such as those in Red River, The Searchers and The Quiet Man. So, when I heard that someone was remaking True Grit, I asked myself, "Why bother?" Then, I heard the Coen brothers were writing and directing -- and I began to eagerly anticipate the movie.

I have not been not disappointed. The Coen's adaptation of the book is nothing short of brilliant. Their use of formal Victorian English is the perfect counterpoint to the raw, violent, unpredictable post-Civil War west. Jeff Bridges inhabits his role as Rooster Cogburn. He's so good you can almost smell the booze and the body odor. There's nothing cuddly or sentimental about this Rooster. He's a nasty man with true grit who'll get the job done. Just don't ask questions.

Hailee Steinfeld's Mattie Ross soars above Kim Darby's 1969 portrayal. There's no coyness or flirting here. Hailee is all business, a tightfisted bible-quoting Christian bent on revenge and retribution. Matt Damon, in the supporting role of LaBoeuf (he says "LeBeef"), delivers a fine performance as an overconfident, too-big-for-his-britches, but ultimately useful, Texas Ranger.

I expect there will be plenty of Oscar nominations for this film -- another tour de force from the Coen brothers who wisely chose to follow Charles Portis's book in spirit, tone, and language.

Nonna's Ratings:
$$$$ = Worth paying the Friday evening price
$$$= Worth paying the Matinee price
$$= Worth a rental
$ = Wait for cable
# = Skip it

No comments:

Post a Comment