Sunday, February 19, 2012

Review: Anonymous

Rating: *
Nonna's Rating: #
Rotten Tomatoes: 47%
Audience: 61%

I love a good Elizabethan romp with great costumes, plenty of dancing, and a touch of the Bard. But I was wary of this movie. It dug up the theory, long-buried by reputable scholars of English Literature, that Shakespeare didn't write his plays.

I decided to go to the movie with an open mind. After all, Shakespeare himself embellished and shuffled historical characters in his own plays -- and we still love them. At first, I was caught up in the Elizabethan fun. I kept reminding myself that it was just a fiction, but then, near the end of the film, there were truly preposterous revelations about the Earl of Oxford and Elizabeth I that simply burst the fragile bubble that the movie had become. It was, in short, a waste of time.

Nonna's Rating

$$$$ = Worth paying the Friday evening
$$$ = Worth paying the Matinee price
$$ = Worth a rental
$= Wait for cable
# = Skip It

No comments:

Post a Comment