Sunday, February 19, 2012

Review: Moneyball

Rating: ***
Nonna's Rating: $$$
Rotten Tomatoes: 94%
Audience: 87%

PACR ("pitchers and catchers report"). It's music to my ears. I do love the game of baseball, so it's not surprising I loved this film. However, my movie buddy Linda also loved it, and I doubt she's ever watched a game from beginning to end. Only Aaron Sorkin could write dialogue about statistics that would be absolutely fascinating. Brad Pitt as Billy Beane, the General Manager of the Oakland A's, and Jonah Hill as Peter Brand, his statistician, are the heart of the film and deserve their Oscar nominations. Phillip Seymour Hoffman's performance as Art Howe, the team's manager, is spot on and largely ignored by the critics. It's a delightful film, filled with true wit.

Nonna's Rating

$$$$ = Worth paying the Friday evening
$$$ = Worth paying the Matinee price
$$ = Worth a rental
$= Wait for cable
# = Skip It

No comments:

Post a Comment