Thursday, September 21, 2006

September 19, 2006: Karen's Birthday


Wow. Talk about an up and down day. Bought my books: $525 with two still left to buy and about $250 already spent on books. The stack of books was downright scary. Yesterday, two students talked about reading just first and last paragraphs of a chapter and first and last sentences of paragraphs. That's ok for a self-help book I just read, but I don't know about these texts. I began to get worried. I'm so accustomed to close reading of texts. Don't know if I can break that habit. Angst set in, big time. Had my advising appointment with Frank Yamada. What a nice guy. Advising with him will be flexible. He encouraged me to be as out of the box as possible. That's dangerous.

Then, I went out and bought my books. After lunch the faculty came and talked about their courses and expectations. Kuni had his pile of books and all I could think about was that each of the teachers expected us to read every word. I started to have doubts. I'm older. Do I have the energy to sustain this? Will I really be able to do ANY marketing work. Anxiety. Anxiety.

Then came everyone's questions about "writing" and style manuals -- and they all talked about it to death. Then, thank God, we had a Taize service. Peace. I went out to Costco for some retail therapy to get paper and also bought a down comforter and some fresh mango. Then, I started going through the books, stamping my name in them, looking them over. They're not so bad at all. Some are downright entertaining. The Liturgy books are lovely and the OT books are amazing. I feel much better. The roller coaster has slowed down. I just need to enjoy the ride.

I couldn't resist adding the picture of Eli.

No comments:

Post a Comment