Thursday, September 21, 2006

September 20, 2006


The day began with a discussion about academic fears with the faculty. More of the same, but I'm not so nervous anymore. We also met the entire staff including maintenance people. Everyone really knows everyone else. It does seem to be a very caring place. I put in a request that the tile in my bathroom get fixed and that I get a new curtain. They came right away and fixed the tile and made a small adjustment in the curtain. Unfortunately, not good enough. I'll have to ask about it again. After lunch we had an excellent discussion about diversity with Frank Yamada leading it. We then had high tea and a scavenger hunt designed to get us more familiar with the faculty and staff. I learned a lot of things. Frank is sort of afraid of grass -- the green on the ground kind. Liz Donohue worked in a circus. Lots of fun stuff. Our group finished first and got everything right, but I don't think we get anything. Unfortunately, all the professors had sweet treats in their offices and I ate and ate and ate. Feeling sick. But, before the carillon concert in the evening, Kuni came over and looked at my computer and got me online in about 5 minutes. He is awesome! The carillon was amazing. Really beautiful. I kept wanting to walk out to Sheridan Road to see if any of the Northwestern students had stopped to listen. I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment