Saturday, December 29, 2007

Review: Atonement


Atonement: **1/2

Given all those Golden Globe nominations, I expected a bit more from this film. The acting was fine and very English in its attention to the details of the historical period -- prior to and during the beginning of the second World War. I don't ever remember a film in which so much attention was paid to the evacuation of Dunkirk -- not so much the evacuation itself as the plight of the men waiting in France. There's a lot to like about this film: good acting, beautiful cinematography, an interesting, if somewhat derivative story. The chemistry between Keira Knightly and James McEvoy is evident and Saoirse Ronan, Romola Garai, and Vanessa Redgrave, who play Briony young, older, and oldest, all handle their role well.

So what's wrong with it? Well, it's no French Lieutenant's Woman, and it's no Roshomon, two films Atonement echoes. It's one of those films that just doesn't seem to go far enough with its story. There's something missing. The final question is "Was this story weighty enough for all the money and time spent on its production?" Now that I've said all this, I must note that, according to http://www.rottentomatoes.com/, 85% of critics disagree with me. Of course, I'm not saying this is an awful movie. I'm saying it's worth seeing but probably at a cheap afternoon show. In fact, I think I'm going to develop a new rating system:

$$$$ = Worth paying the Friday evening price
$$$ = Worth paying the Matinee price
$$ = Worth a rental
$ = Wait for cable
# = Skip it

And Atonement gets $$$

No comments:

Post a Comment