Monday, December 31, 2007

Review: The Golden Compass




The Golden Compass: ***



Nonna Rating: $$$

I prepared myself to dislike this movie. I've read Pullman's Trilogy, His Dark Materials, and have rarely had so negatively visceral a reaction to literature. Just for the record, my reaction had nothing to do with the so-called "anti-Christian" subtext of the books. Granted, you don't find much anti-Christian children's literature, but there certainly exists a great volume of adult literature that is anti-Christian. And, let's face it, the history of Christendom isn't exactly squeaky clean. Good Christians would do well to face up to the darker moments in our bloody history in Europe, the U.S., and the rest of the world. But I digress. What I didn't like about Pullman's books was the hopelessness that rests in the core of the novels. There is, indeed, something dark in these books, something I'd rather have children face when they are a bit older (at least adolescents) and can handle it better. I do sound like a disapproving grandmother here. Sorry.

To my surprise, however, I found myself enjoying the movie. Some of the special effects are stunning, especially the daemon animal souls that accompany humans. Children's daemons, which change shape constantly and don't take their final shape until adolescence, were especially charming. The actors are exceptionally fine. Almost every venerable older male English actor has a role, including Derek Jacobi, Ian McKellan, Tom Courtenay, Ian McShane, and Christopher Lee. Dakota Blue Richards plays the demanding role of Lyra and exudes competence, bravery, and cleverness. Daniel Craig as Lord Asriel isn't on screen enough. We'll probably have to wait for the last two installments to see more of him. Nicole Kidman portrays Mrs. Coulter, Lyra's long-absent, chillingly beautiful mother. Her performance is good, but doesn't convey the evil that resides in the core of her being in the books.

I wondered if the densely plotted movie was only coherent to me because I had read the book, so I asked my ten-year-old grandson what he thought of it and whether it made sense to him. He genuinely enjoyed it and was able to follow the storyline easily. I am somewhat surprised at the alarm being raised in some Christian circles about the film. A friend tells me that her nine and eleven year old daughters were warned repeatedly at Sunday school that they should not see the movie. Actually, I doubt most children will even understand that the Magisterium, the reigning power in an alternate universe (definitely not our own universe) is meant to represent the established Church, presumably Roman and/or Anglican Catholic. There is nothing in the movie that identifies the Magisterium as a religious body.

For the special effects, which are stunning on the big screen, I recommend paying the matinee price for this one.

Nonna Rating System:
$$$$ = Worth paying the Friday evening price
$$$ = Worth paying the Matinee price
$$ = Worth a rental
$ = Wait for cable
# = Skip it

No comments:

Post a Comment