Sunday, December 23, 2007

Review: I'm Not There


I'm Not There ****

I'm Not There is a terrific film. I loved it -- all 15 minutes of it that I actually saw. I am embarrassed to say that I fell asleep during the movie and woke intermittently, somehow catching all the major plot points (if we can call them that). As so many critics have noted, the film is a deconstruction of the music biopic, those linear biographies which make it look as if a life actually makes sense. This film, using five actors to illustrate five aspects of that complex personality we call Bob Dylan, manages to point out a fact we all know, a fact that movies usually ignore -- that no human being is truly knowable. Unfortunately, for reasons that had nothing to do with the movie, I slept through most of it. I plan to see it "again." I'll alter this review if my opinion of the film changes, but I doubt it

No comments:

Post a Comment