Sunday, March 11, 2007

I Had an Epiphany

This weekend is so messed up because of the anti-racism course schedule, which made Friday seem like Saturday, and the very early time change, and the beautiful weather (which, of course, isn't messing anything up). Anyway, on a whim and a prayer, I decided to head off to Church of the Epipany near the United Center this morning. It took all of 20 minutes -- what a difference a Sunday makes. I have never felt so welcomed at a church. I got there quite early and was asked to do the Prayers of the People. It's much more relaxed in its approch to liturgy than St. B's, but in a nice, friendly sort of way. I also helped the Warden prepare the bread for the service. Terrific mix in the congregation in a neighborhood undergoing gentrification: African American, young and old, white (some affluent, some not so), Hispanic, probably some gay and lesbian. They had open communion. The service was in an upstair room. They don't use the church for ecological reasons -- heating it would be expensive. There was an incredible amount of construction/renovation going on. I'd like to talk with Meigan, the pastor, about that. She wants to get together with me to talk about the service and the way they do church. I want to talk to Suzy Holding about whether or not it would be possible to make Epiphany the place I do my parish work next year. It's getting me very exited just thining about the possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment