Monday, January 05, 2009

Review: Burn After Reading


Review: Burn After Reading
Rating: **
Nonna's Rating: $$
Rotten Tomatoes: 79%

I can not begin to tell you how much I love the Coen Brothers' movies. I've seen them all. I love them all. I own the script of Big Lebowski. After seeing O Brother, Where Art Thou? I wrote an essay on the film's motifs, imagery, themes, characters, and situations -- all compared to the Odyssey -- for myself! I love the Coen Brothers.

But I disliked this film. I wanted to like it. I tried to like it. But I couldn't. A great cast miscast. Clooney plays the same kind of grinning nitwit he portrayed in Intolerable Cruelty -- a Coen film which, in truth, I almost hated. Brad Pitt plays against type as a pretty boy nitwit working in a health club. And Frances McDormand plays a another type of nitwit so poorly I can't believe some people are suggesting she be nominated for an Academy Award.

The story was mindless. I found I really didn't care what happened to any of the people -- which was a good thing because dire things occur. Other people have loved this film. You may love it. But, if you don't, don't blame me. I told ya so.

Nonna's Ratings:
$$$$ = Worth paying the Friday evening price
$$$= Worth paying the Matinee price
$$= Worth a rental
$ = Wait for cable
# = Skip it

No comments:

Post a Comment