Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Review: The Secret Life of Bees



Review: The Secret Life of Bees
Rating: **1/2
Nonna's Rating: $$
Rotten Tomatoes: 56%

I loved the book, but, as you probably know, I don't expect movies to follow their book source slavishly. (The exception that proves the rule was Lord of the Rings.) And this movie actually followed the book quite closely -- well, as closely as I can remember. (I have a terrible memory for the details of plot in novels. Thus, novel was definitely not my speciality in my English Lit grad program.). So, I found the movie fairly satisfying, but, unfortunately, it lacked the whimsy of the book. The acting was fine; the stars appealing. Dakota Fanning is always a revelation and Queen Latifah was her charming self. It's a great rainy afternoon movie, and, yes, definitely it's a chick-flick.

Nonna's Ratings:
$$$$ = Worth paying the Friday evening price
$$$= Worth paying the Matinee price
$$= Worth a rental
$ = Wait for cable
# = Skip it

No comments:

Post a Comment