Saturday, January 03, 2009

Review: Mamma Mia

Review: Mamma Mia
Rating: ***
Nonna's Rating: $$$$
Rotten Tomatoes: 52%

I saw this film the first week it was released in Richmond, VA. I realized about half way through, as the audience around me sang every word of every song, that I had been smiling with abandon since the first scene -- and I have never been an Abba fan. The delight in this film was infectious. Even Pierce Brosnan's beyond horrible singing didn't ruin the experience for me. (His discomfort with his role radiates from every stiltled gesture and grimace.) Meryl Streep, however, is a dancing/singing revelation even though, as several critics have pointed out, she is too old for the role. No matter. She pulls it off in the glorious scenery of the Greek Islands. I gave the soundtrack to my son and daughter-in-law for Christmas and we watched it that night. My son and brother began to complain in the first five minutes and gave each other raised-eyebrow "chick flick" looks, but they stayed for the whole film and I caught them singing along more than once. Don't skip the credits. Amanda Seyfried's voice is perfect for "Thank You For the Music"

Nonna's Ratings:
$$$$ = Worth paying the Friday evening price
$$$= Worth paying the Matinee price
$$= Worth a rental
$ = Wait for cable
# = Skip it

No comments:

Post a Comment