Sunday, June 14, 2009

Review: Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian



Review: Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian
Rating: *1/2
Nonna's Rating: $
Rotten Tomatoes: 44%

When Max, my grandson, and I saw the original Night at the Museum movie, I went with low expectations. The film had only received a 44% Rotten Tomatoes rating. As we watched the movie, I thought, "Well, this isn't Citizen Kane, but I think it's going to be a big hit." Just the concept of being privy to historical figures coming alive in the night at a museum was enough to win me over. Yes, some of the jokes were sophomoric, but Max, then nine, was thoroughly delighted and I was thoroughly entertained. It was that rare thing, a live action movie for children that adults could also enjoy.

So, when the second movie, Battle of the Smithsonian, was released, I was eager to see it -- even though it again received only 44% approval from the Rotten Tomatoes reviewers. This time, I have to agree with the reviewers. The film, transplanted from New York to the Smithsonian, is a pale copy of the original. The new venue, so full of possibilities, simply offers nothing new in the way of plot or delight. The movie was tired and tedious. Although, to be fair, I must report that Max liked it -- and I do love Hank Azaria doing funny voices.


Nonna's Ratings:
$$$$ = Worth paying the Friday evening price
$$$= Worth paying the Matinee price
$$= Worth a rental
$ = Wait for cable
# = Skip it

No comments:

Post a Comment