Thursday, December 17, 2009

Review: Bright Star

Review: Bright Star
Rating: ***1/2
Nonna's Rating: $
Rotten Tomatoes: 84%

Okay, I loved this movie. One of my examination areas for my Ph.D. was 19th Century British and American Poetry. Keats is, well, the bomb. And I had to memorize Bright Star in high school. During the credits of this movie someone recites Ode to a Nightingale -- the most Romantic poem I have ever read. I swooned. I loved every painful moment of Keats' frustrating relationship with Fanny Brawne. At the same time, I realize this movie was made to appeal to those weird people among us who can read Wordsworth's Prelude without wincing. So, I warn you. This movie is not for everyone. It's not a Jennifer Anniston romantic comedy and it doesn't have the airy charm of a Jane Austen movie. So, view it with my warning label. I loved it, but you may not. The cinematography is the most stunning I've seen in a long time.

Nonna's Ratings:
$$$$ = Worth paying the Friday evening price
$$$= Worth paying the Matinee price
$$= Worth a rental
$ = Wait for cable
# = Skip it

No comments:

Post a Comment