Thursday, December 17, 2009

Review: Good Hair

Review: Good Hair
Rating: ***
Nonna's Rating: $$$
Rotten Tomatoes: 94%

I'm white and I have never understood the secret life of my black friends and their hair. This film has revealed a great deal to me -- and I'm appalled. I had no idea. Thanks to Chris Rock, I now understand that black people spend a lot more on their hair and spend a lot more time on their hair than I do. I was fascinated by this documentary, but, so far, none of my black friends have seen it. "I live it," each has said wearily. Chris Rock, a loud, brash comedian on stage, is very different as the narrator/interviewer of this film. He seems like, well, a regular guy. In one scene, he's in a barbershop listening to a group of African-American men talk about hair. He seems downright introverted as he listens attentively. And they aren't the least bit impressed by his celebrity. They treat him like one of the guys. I wholeheartedly recommend this film. It's full of humor and gentle satire.

Nonna's Ratings:
$$$$ = Worth paying the Friday evening price
$$$= Worth paying the Matinee price
$$= Worth a rental
$ = Wait for cable
# = Skip it

No comments:

Post a Comment